Saturday, October 3, 2009

Recreate Fitness


I belong to a Crossfit gym in Portland, Oregon, called Recreate Fitness. It's run by a fiercely dedicated and fab couple, Tina & Nathan Jeffers. I love my gym more and more all the time. Gym owners, pay attention. There are many things these guys do well, follow-through, relationship building, sound fitness advice... But they also do two things, that are very subtle, and seldom appreciated, but that set them apart from any other gym I've been to.

They are 100% reliable. I have never once shown up at 6:30AM to find the place not open. They are never late, and without exception, they are always prepared with the workout at the class start time. Their class schedule never deviates from what they post online. Like clockwork. Too many gyms have a reputation of flaky staff, no shows, poorly maintained class schedules. Burn me once, it's not likely I'll be back. Burn me twice, I definitely won't be back, and I'll be telling everyone I know not to go.

They encourage effort and strength, not a barbie & ken image. I've never heard them say, 'good job, looks like you've lost weight'. But you will hear them say often, 'Nice work today. You look strong. Great effort.' The focus becomes being your strongest, fittest self, not fitting yourself into a visual image. And guess what, we do all look strong, and our lean muscle mass increases, and we kick ass.

Thanks Recreate!

No comments:

Post a Comment